Love My Crock

slowcookery and tomfoolery

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Double Corn and Cheddar Chowder

Hot damn! Now here's one I've made twice. It's great for weekend afternoons when you aren't desperate for food just yet and want to have something yummy later. I don't have much to say other than it's delicious, simple, and highly recommended. For funny anecdotes see the previous review--as everyone knows, it's much easier to make fun of something than praise it, and I'm tired. Enjoy!



1 tbsp. butter
1 c. onions, chopped
2 tbsp. flour
2 1/2 c. chicken broth
16 oz. can creamed corn
1 c. frozen corn
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce (I use Tapatillo sauce and give it two extra shakes)
3/4 c. (or a whole, does it really make a difference?) sharp cheddar cheese
freshly ground pepper

1. In saucepan, melt butter, stir in onions and saute until wilted. Stir in flour. When well mixed, whisk in chicken broth. If you're like me and don't yet have all the tools of the trade (why buy a whisk when there's CDs to be bought?) just stir it around with a fork. Stir frequently over medium heat until broth is thickened. (This is dubious. I just make mine somewhat thick because I'm impatient.)

2. Pour into 4-qt slow cooker, mix in remaining ingredients except cheese.
3. Cook on low 3 1/2 hours, stir in cheese until melted and well-blended, cook 1 more hour.

I do have a couple more things to say. First, if anyone can tell me how to avoid the strange film that covers my spoon while eating this, that would be great. Am I not blending the cheese properly, or should it be added 30 mins before the end rather than 1 hour?

Makes 6 servings, and they would be 200 calories each but are probably more because I don't use reduced-fat cheese. I don't partake in narcotics so I might as well get my endorphins firing with real cheese, expanding waistline be damned. I'd rather be fat than die from lack of pleasure, so there.

The hot sauce really gives it a kick. A wise man at my workplace first bristled at my soup, saying he only used fresh corn in his recipes. I hesitate to say "la dee dah" because I realize how much more amazing dishes with fresh ingredients are. Anyhow, he impetuously grabbed a spoon and had a sampling of my chowder, which he then proclaimed "very good"--from him, a high compliment. How d'ya like them apples?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home