Love My Crock

slowcookery and tomfoolery

Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Joy of Crock

Hello, and welcome to Love My Crock.

We're young, busy people who are in the habit of eating, at least occasionally. Do you know what I had until about 5 p.m. yesterday? A tall mocha and a gruyere-thyme scone. As a recently professional person who tends to wake up late, rush to work without breakfast and stay chained to my desk for the next four or five hours out of guilt, I've been doing a crap job of nourishing myself. I'm not a salad girl, I'm sick of sandwiches, and the lure of the skyscraper-lobby $5 multicultural buffets always ends in some kind of misery. Phad thai shouldn't have a ketchup-like color or consistency, and I don't need to tell you about heat-lamped Indian food.

Soup is always a good option, and luckily I work a few blocks away from the Pike Place Market, where you can get it with yummy crumpets and fresh fruit. But the fact is, I'm too rushed and/or lazy on a given day to take good care of myself. For dinner, my boyfriend and I mostly eat out. Because life is moving so quickly, I also want to do things that will put me back in the moment. I haven't jumped on the knitting train--I just can't help thinking, I'll knit when I'm 60. My idea of slow-living, for now, is letting a machine do the work for me so I can read or listen to albums on vinyl, two things I hardly have time for anymore. So that's another reason I asked for a slow-cooker for Christmas.

I don't know when it occured to me--when I think of crock pots (TM), I think of my mom's pot roasts, which I don't want to recreate. Maybe I saw a photo of one or read a subversive piece of marketing disguised as something else, but suddenly the device seemed like the answer to my dreams of creative, delicious, cheap and maybe healthy meals. My friend Kate also got one for Christmas, and she told me we're not the only ones!

This will be a forum for our triumphs and disasters, although with her previous cooking experience, Kate's sure to have more of the former. Crock lovers, this is for you!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Boy, don't stop writing OR crocking! I surely enjoy both and am sending on your addy to my Mom who recently purchased a slow cooker. She is 82 now and prefers to spend her time listening to music, walking her mile a day and preparing for her next travel adventure. She'll be thrilled!

Now that I think of it, I wonder what ever happened to mine? You have got me thinkin!!

Crock ON!

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home